What happens when creatives from all over the United States descend on one midwest city for a weekend of inspirational speakers, design and incredible music?
A few weeks ago, seven Atomicdusters loaded into a 16-passenger van and ventured to the city of Cleveland to experience the third annual Weapons of Mass Creation Fest. The three-day conference, the brainchild of Jeff Finley, Jesse Sloan and Joseph Hughes, is part educational - with 20 speakers on art and design - and part entertainment - with 20 bands playing at a nearby venue.
The speaker selection varied from those just starting out in their niche to speakers like Johnny Cupcakes and Tad Carpenter - seasoned veterans that shared their stories and addressed how they continue to be innovative in growing their brands and communities.
Needless to say, there were a lot of inspiring messages being shared at the conference. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Great writers know how to communicate. - Austin Kleon
- Build your community through inclusion and pride. - Mike Kubinski
- What is the biggest hurdle that you face in your career? - Jen Myers
- Your work will never grow if you are tired! - Margot Harrington
- Everyone has a masterpiece within them from birth. - Tad Carpenter
- With anything, come up with a bunch of different ideas. - Chuck Anderson
- Real success is doing what you love. - Johnny Cupcakes
- Find what you love doing, and use it! - Brian Jasinski
- Fight to do the kind of work you want to do! - Matt Stevens
- If you have an idea, just see it through! - Friends of Type
- As designers, we are problem solvers. - James White
We were blown away by both the selection of speakers and the city of Cleveland itself. This grassroots movement may only be in its infancy, but judging by the packed auditorium, Weapons of Mass Creation Fest is making a name for itself among festivals like SXSW, Brooklyn Beta, FITC and 99% Conference.
For more pictures and commentary from our weekend, check out ClevelandorDUST.com.